Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Amy the English Major

I came into English quite a bit later than some of my peers. In fact, I have only been an official English major for a year and a half, although I've been steadily squeezing in English classes since I was a freshman and cycling through my various majors, such as Anthropology, Spanish, History, Political Science, and even a brief stint in Mechanical Engineering (which only lasted a few weeks before I came to my senses). After all of these majors, I've grabbed a few minors along the way, and eventually came to a crossroads--which of these minors can I turn into a bonafide major I'll enjoy? Turns out, MSU won't let you graduate with four minors...go figure. I looked at the various pros and cons of each (Psychology was quickly rejected, Anthropology followed soon upon the discovery of two added years of school) and eventually landed in English. I remembered my high school classes, where I ate up the books twice as fast as my peers and voluntarily researched the underlying themes of Chinua Achebe and Fyodor Dostoevsky. I also remembered one of those lone English classes where all of the other members moaned about the sheer number of readings and focused on their REAL majors, while I did the same, while secretly relishing our writing assignments.
The road has been rather bumpy since I did declare English, with a few quarter-life crises and trips abroad to interrupt my studies, but I've always come back to English. I haven't regretted any of my classes, although some have been more painful than others--most of the surveys are a pain, and Lit Crit was the bane of my existence during one semester full of 6 other classes, but finally being in the glorious upper division classes is it's own reward. Now, finally, absolutely in my last semester, I'm going to miss all of these classes--even Gwendolyn Morgan's summer Advanced Comp course--when I head out into the "real" world and try to make something of myself and this degree!

No comments:

Post a Comment