Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Diamonds in the Dead

Hello, James Joyce. I hope it's okay if I just say one thing: I hate him.
Now that that's off my chest, I can continue with my discoveries of diamonds in his work. I suppose that hate is a bit strong, and I do think that he contributed many great works to English literature, but I just don't like him. I can't even really explain it; I've read both The Dubliners and A Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man and I could read them without total torture, but I just still don't like James Joyce.
Okay, now I can officially start looking for diamonds.
For me, the epiphany I could identify with the most is Gretta's, when she hears the song. Music is a powerful memory trigger, in my experience. Hearing a song from any time in your life can vault you into instant nostalgia. Sometimes, it can be a good nostalgia, looking back on the past fondly, and other times, it can bring back painful memories. I am embarrassed to admit what horrible taste in music I have, but "Wannabe" by the Spice Girls is a particular trigger, and causes memories of 6th grade dances and my father washing the dishes. Neutral Milk Hotel's "In the Aeroplane Over the Sea" always reminds me of the end of my first love, which always breaks my heart a little.
There is also a connection of epiphanies here, which I find intriguing: Gretta's epiphany then triggers Gabriel's inner turmoil and his own epiphany about the relationship between life and death and the living death.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lcgyKo7vbm4

No comments:

Post a Comment